Wednesday, October 24, 2007

"I Found Faith through Mary Kay"

Let it be said, you can find wacky people of all different religions all over the world. However, it just so happens that there are a lot of LDS people in Utah, so it naturally makes for a greater concentration of LDS "wackys" in the state. Although the individual who prompted this post happens to be LDS, she didn't need the religious component to inspire a post (i.e. she was talking about MK makeup products and how they compared to European cosmetics: "I don't know if you know anything about Europe, but, everything is like $100 there"). The other night, Hillary and I were able to spend an evening with one such special person... please enjoy the following as I relate an encounter with a Mary Kay consultant:

...in the middle of her story of how she came to be a MK Consult....

"...are all of you LDS? *she glances around the room to see everyone
agreeing* OK, then you get the whole Faith thing then. I thought I
understood Faith before, but I truly learned what Faith was after joining Mary
Kay...."

I could go on and on about how this is so wrong on multiple levels, but I'll spare you my commentary! Let me just say that my jaw was dropped and I could feel Hillary trying to get my attention as she also stared in shock and shared disbelief of what we were hearing.

It's O.K. Mary Kay Ash (rest your soul), I will not blame you for this monstrosity.

I may have not gained a new testimony of faith through the MK business tonight,
but I did get a cool tube of lip gloss & this great picture. Rock on.


P.S. this only scratches the surface of the entire experience -
for additional details, please see Hillary's blog!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Jordyn, I just did a Mary Kay Facial last week too...it was a lot of fun. But I didn't have quite the same experience...ha ha. That must have been so funny.
~Emily

Anonymous said...

Mary Kay is great! Oh and just so you know, not all LDS people are wacky! :)
People in Utah just tend to be a little ULTRA naive about apropriate times to bring up religion...
anyways, just wanted to let ya know! I don't know how many LDS people you know but please don't base your judgement of them on one crazy lady!!!!! :)
-Megan